Monday, January 11, 2010

Brave Wesley/Wimpy Mom

Today we had a doctors visit. Wesley has been waking up in the middle of the night crying and complaining of knee pain. We think its caused by flat feet but took him to our pediatrician just to make sure. They wanted to do a blood draw just to rule out some of the really bad things it can be. First of all I was by myself with Wesley and Paxton and those car seats dont get any lighter to carry babies in. So we go up a flight of stairs to the examination room. Then down 2 flights of stairs to the lab. I am burning up from carrying the car seat and helping Wesley walk down. We get to the lab and you can see the look on the clinicians face. Obviously drawing blood from a 2 year old is not her favorite part of the day. We go into the room and she looks for a good vein to draw from. She then explains to me that I am going to have to lay Wes on the table and trap his knees between my legs then lay my body over his stomach and hold his shoulders down. She also said that she was going to bring another nurse in to help hold him down. She exits the room and Wes looks at me and asks what she is doing. I tell him that he is going to lay down and they are going to put a tie around his arm and poke him really quick and get some of his blood and if he is good then we can go get ice cream. He looks a little leary of the nurse when she comes back in. So we begin the process of laying him down and getting me situated into the correct position and the nurse holding down his arm and the clinican ready to draw the blood. Wes looks so little now and I begin to shake just a bit. They insert the needle and all he says is "ow" in such a tiny pitiful voice that I start shaking really badly and all of a sudden feel very hot. He does not move a muscle the whole rest of the time and just lays there perfectly still.... meanwhile I am about ready to pass out at the thought of that thing going into his arm and am having flashbacks of getting my blood drawn when I was pregnant and the pain that that involved. At one point they suggest that we sing Twinkle Twinkle and I start and my voice is shaking so bad I sounded like 90 year old woman. They finish up and he jumps up from the table and gets his shirt back on. Takes the paper to carry back up the flight of stairs to check out and marches out of the room announcing that he is ready for some ice cream! The nurse looked at me and said they had never had a kid handle it as well as he did. They then proceeded to ask me if I was ok and did I need any help! We quickly left and went and got Wesley his ice cream (I didnt get any!
~Mommy

No comments: